Tuesday, January 31, 2006

During a quick jaunt to the Ortega Public Library, I picked up some good books including 'Diet for a Small Planet' by Frances Lappe. Originally published in 1971, I consider this part protein debate, part analysis of American values and part cookbook an oldie but a goodie. More than a vegetarian manifesto, Lappe is honest, comically and well researched in her address towards world hunger and the distancing of consumer from food source. I think it's neat and worth a look through.

Lappe was also a founder of Food First, a bay area based non-profit dedicated to issues of global hunger, food security and social justice- www.foodfirst.org. They published 'Alternatives to the Peace Corps' which I would like to get my paws on (ahem, birthday, wink wink, nudge nudge).

Speaking of food, I gots to go cook din-din. Besos, filibertha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home